Our Vehicle & Contractor Requirements
For Owner Operators
Interested in joining our team?
Let’s see if you qualify.
Read Our Vehicle & Contractor Requirements Below
Please call us if you have any questions. We’re always interested in talking with owner operators who are curious about learning more about Trailer Transit.
Independent Contractor Requirements
Tractor must be in good physical and mechanical condition and must pass a D.O.T. annual inspection prior to orientation in Porter, Indiana
All contractors should understand our customers’ trailers are moved throughout the continental U.S. and Canada
Three (3) years verifiable over-the-road, tractor-trailer experience
Tractor should be ELD compliant
Must pass D.O.T. physical
Must pass D.O.T. drug testing
Must be registered with the FMCSA Clearinghouse
Base Plate & Permits
Cost of Indiana Base Plate can be deducted from each settlement
Trailer Transit offers a toll transponder and scale bypass for a nominal fee
Contractor must provide proof that the current year (2290) Federal Highway Use Tax has been paid
Contractor must have the original or copy of the original title to the tractor
Trailer Transit provides ALL other permits
Suggested Additional Equipment
- Due to the nature of our business and the needs of our customer base, it is highly recommended that you have a sliding 5th wheel with a long slide, either at time of sign-on or shortly thereafter.
- CDL endorsements for Tank, Doubles, and Hazmat
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- Tie down equipment:
- Six 20” chains, 5/16” high tensile or 3/8”
- Eight tire chains
- Six chain binders
- Four 4”x30” straps with flat hooks
- Four ratchet-type winches
- Light Bar – used on trailers without rear lights or if the electrical system is not compatible
- Pintle Hook, Ball Hitch, and Electric Brakes