If you’re an owner operator with experience hauling a diverse set of trailers, Trailer Transit, Inc. wants to talk to you!
Please take a moment to read over our vehicle and contractor requirements to see if you qualify.
Minimum Equipment Requirements
(Needed at time of Sign On)
- Tractor must look good and pass a D.O.T. annual inspection in Porter, Indiana.
- Cellular telephone.
Suggested Additional Equipment
1. Due to the nature of our business and the needs of our customer base, it is highly recommended that you have a sliding 5th wheel with a long slide, either at time of sign-on or shortly thereafter.
2. CDL endorsements for Tank, Doubles, and Hazmat.
3. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC).
4. Tie down equipment:
(A.) Six 20″ chains, 5/16″ high tensile or 3/8”
(B.) Six chain binders
(C.) Four 4″x30′ straps with flat hooks
(D.) Four ratchet-type winches
5. Light Bar – used on trailers without rear lights or if the electrical system is not compatible.
6. Pintle Hook, Ball Hitch, and Electric Brakes.
Base Plate and Permits
- Cost of Indiana Base Plate can be deducted from each settlement
- Contractor must provide proof that the current year Federal Highway Use Tax has been paid
- Contractor must have the original or copy of the original title to the tractor
- Trailer Transit provides ALL other permits
Independent Contractor Requirements
- All contractors must be willing to run all 48 states
- Extensive and verifiable over-the-road, tractor-trailer experience
- Clean driving record
- Must pass D.O.T. physical at our clinic
- Must pass D.O.T. drug testing
- Must have CDL endorsements for Tank and Doubles